It’s the most wonderful time of the year – to shop small, of course! It shouldn’t come as a surprise that AGC supports small businesses. We are a small business, and we work with other small businesses. Many of our Hive members come from small business backgrounds. We put together this helpful guide to shop small for Small Business Saturday in Sarasota and Bradenton!
Now more than ever it is important for us to support local and small businesses. According to an article in The Washington Post, “An estimated 800,000 small businesses closed permanently in the first year of the pandemic, roughly 30 percent more than is typical, according to a study by the Federal Reserve.” We know the past two years have been devastating for many small business owners. Please check out our recommendations for our favorite small businesses in Sarasota, Bradenton, and the surrounding area, and remember to shop small this holiday season.
- Mandeville Beer Garden: Locally sourced, family and dog-friendly, craft beers, games, AND great food? SIGN US UP. Mandeville Beer Garden is an incredible restaurant in the heart of downtown Sarasota that we’re proud to celebrate any day of the week, any time of the year.
- Hamlet’s Food Truck: Located in the courtyard of The Bazaar on Apricot & Lime, this food truck has both meat and vegan options. Also, you must try the French fries.
- Boca: Focusing on a farm-to-table menu, Boca utilizes local food sourced from nearby farmers and food purveyors. The meals are delicious, the service is great and the bar is a fun scene.
- Owens Fish Camp: Fresh seafood right from our very own bay? YES, PLEASE! Owen’s Fish Camp is located in Burns Court in downtown Sarasota and is an experience of its own accord. It’s loaded with history and that southern hospitality that you’ll write home about.
- The Garden Room Cafe at Shoogie Boogies: Transport yourself to a European garden at Shoogie Boogies. This unique cafe and shop is great for date nights, birthday parties, and other special occasions.
- Shore: Modern flare, signature cocktails, and creative menu options are what Shore is all about. You’ll love the open-air dining space and trust us when we say, you’ll be back.
- Pho Cali: Traditional Vietnamese stir-fry and noodles; the bubble tea and veggie pancakes are a MUST. Pho Cali is located on Main Street and is both quaint and cozy. It’s perfect for a date night with lots of laughs and warm food that satisfies any appetite!
- Yoders Restaurant & Amish Village: Enjoy some homemade Amish comfort food and grab some unique gifts from the gift shop. You can also grab some baked goods and take-home meals from the deli market.
- Green Zebra Cafe: This family-owned and operated restaurant now has two locations in Sarasota. Grab a smoothie or cold pressed juice and enjoy a healthy AND delicious meal. There are options for meat eaters, vegans, vegetarians, gluten-free, dairy-free, and more.
- Artisan Cheese Company: Cheese, please! Grab hand-cut American and European cheeses to bring home. There are also plenty of accoutrements to choose from with different wines, jams, meats, and more.
- Buttermilk: This small family-owned and operated eatery does NOT consider itself a restaurant. Rather, Buttermilk is a place to come with friends and enjoy delicious treats and coffee.
- Spice Boys Food Truck: The Spice Boys serve up Middle Eastern cuisine with a menu that rotates between three to six dishes, so you’ll always want to be checking out to see what’s new.
- Food + Beer: Eat Food, Drink Beer! Utilizing local foods, this Gulf Gate spot has an affordable a la carte menu so you can mix and match different food combinations. There are also health-conscious options.
- Richey’s Chocolate: Enjoy handmade chocolate at this Bradenton candy shop that’s been open since 1949.
- State Street: Enjoy handcrafted cocktails and a fun downtown scene at The Lounge at State Street.
- Euphemia Haye: The Haye Loft at Euphemia Haye is a more laid-back experience than the restaurant where you can enjoy a drink from their extensive wine list and an appetizer or dessert. This is a former apartment of the restaurant’s original owner with a swanky style.
- Clean Juice: Smoothies, cold-pressed juices, wellness shots, and more. All USDA Certified Organic.
- Crop: Raw cold-pressed juices that focus on making sure you get your leafy greens for the day.
- Buddy Brew: This local coffee phenomenon started in Tampa, but we are so lucky to have a location here in Sarasota. Buddy Brew’s coffees are sourced through relationships with small lot farmers and women-owned co-ops, and they seek to pay above “fair trade” prices.
- Project Coffee: Everything on the menu is vegan (and delicious). The minimalist decor, great location, and friendly staff make for a lovely spot to meet up with friends or get some work done.
- Swim City: Get ready for the beach with swimwear, resort wear, and beach accessories with the latest styles for the whole family.
- Marmalade Salon & Boutique: Mixing fashion and beauty, this adorable boutique is where you can shop for beachy home decor and apparel AND get your hair done!
- The Bazaar on Apricot & Lime: This indoor market is home to over 40 local vendors and artisans. The 5,000 sq. ft. space is filled with something for everyone from art, collectibles, clothing, jewelry, one-of-a-kind items, gifts, and food. They also do a lot of events and fun activities for both adults and kids.
- Paint Nail Bar: Treat yourself to a luxurious manicure and pedicure with products that are actually good for you and the environment. The complimentary mimosas are the cherry on top!
- Pure Skincare by Elizabeth: By marrying skin care and elements such as lifestyle and diet changes, Holistic Esthetician Elizabeth brings your body into harmony, allowing your skin to glow, naturally. She believes facial treatments should be less about machines, and more about a hands-on approach, bringing you a total wellness experience and holistic approach to radiant skin.
- Modish: This salon is a team of 9 talented independent hair stylists, specializing in color and extensions. Each stylist is always up on the latest trends
- Beach Suites: Upgrade your beach day with a Beach Suites Experience. Owners Tiffany and Audrey have thought of everything to make your beach day or special event a luxury experience that everyone in the family can enjoy.
- Let’s Create Art: Perfect for a date with your spouse or kids, Let’s Create Art is appropriate for ANY level artist and also offers supplies for take-home art kits! They also host DIY furniture painting classes!
These are just a few of our favorite small businesses in Sarasota, Bradenton, and the surrounding area. Stop in to grab some gifts for the people on your list (you can include yourself on that list!) or take a break from shopping to grab a coffee or bite to eat. Gift cards are always a great option as well.
We appreciate you shopping small this holiday season!